How it became
As many towns in South Dakota, Butler is a small town that used to be the center of activity. In 1887, Harrison Butler deeded 80 acres of his land to the Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Paul Railroad Company, for a town site, asking only that they town be called Butler. The Butler Depot was built after the construction of the rail line from Lake Preston to Bristol, 1886-1887.
The year 1895 saw Butler take one giant step forward as that was the year it became incorporated as a town. The first business established in the new town was a store by George Bennett, who also had a store in Bristol. Butler's first postmaster was Will Hart.
Butler's Main Street in the early 1900s was a thriving avenue of business - the Butler Hotel, the Strandness Bank, the Stewart Cafe, the Potter-Harness Shop, Lanagger's Butcher Shop and the Butler General Store, just to name a few.
Every week, the businessmen of Main Street sponsored a movie. A big screen was hung on the east end of the street, and, as soon as it was dark, a movie was shown. Families and friends would gather together to visit, see the movie and shop.
City of Butler
Click here to read about other Day County towns
Want to know the full story (and read the whole paper)? Subscribe!
Reporter & Farmer Important Links
Since 2001 Dewangen, Germany, and Webster, SD have been friendship cities, sharing cultures, students, and friendship. Come check it out!
This site has all the contact information for all the newspapers in South Dakota for easy reference
Subscription to Reporter & Farmer
Advertise in Reporter & Farmer
Like us on Facebook
Click here to see mobile version
© Copyright 2023 Reporter & Farmer